The current situation in which we live has diversified the way we work. Did you know that there are people who work at virtual desks? In this post we will focus on understanding what it is, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of working with remote desktops.
From the perspective of the title, it may seem obvious, however, in order to better understand this form of work we will define what it is and what it consists of.
A Remote Desktop is a workspace which we do not have physical access to, therefore, a Remote Desktop job consists of, through applications, working with a workspace as if it were local but located elsewhere, it can be another physical computer located in the Enterprise itself or located in the Cloud, for example.
Now that we have the introduction, the advantages and disadvantages will be much more understandable.
Are there advantages to working with remote desktops?
I'm sure reading the definition, this question came to mind.
Let's look at a few advantages of this way of working:
- Depending on the work to be done sometimes we need powerful equipment to do it, this modality allows us to work without needing powerful equipment.
- Same equipment always, let's suppose that our equipment breaks down, I know that you are thinking about leaving backups in the Cloud, but let's suppose that for whatever reason there is a day when you have to work in Local without going up and just that day your equipment breaks down (what a coincidence!!), with this type of Desktop we will always have it at hand from any other computer, obviating that no data would be lost in the case that in our Local it is unrecoverable.
- If they bring us another computer we will have to configure it again, with the Remote Desktops we can access our desktop without having to configure anything.
- Currently there is a growing trend to use laptops in local workplaces to encourage the famous "hot spot", however, this severely affects security, after all, when we travel we are taking confidential information from work everywhere, one of the main advantages is in terms of security, the important information stays inside the Remote Desktop.
- One of the main advantages of this way of working is being able to access our Desktop whenever and wherever you want.
Okay, we know the advantages, but are there any disadvantages to working with remote desktops?
Every type of work has pros and cons, we will see that the cons make it unsuitable for all types of work.
- The connection speed is crucial for a smooth work, if we suffer from connection losses or instability, our work will be affected.
- Maintenance of remote equipment can be a problem. Usually maintenance is done outside working hours, however there are situations that require it due to force majeure, in which case the technician will have to connect to the machine disabling access in the worst case.
We have already seen the qualities of working with remote desktops, it has many advantages such as security and accessibility, however, the disadvantages make it a modality which is not suitable for those jobs which require precision in deliveries or absolute control of the equipment.